This is straight in from the fine folks over at Red Giant. If you aren’t on their mailing list then you probably aren’t aware but Magic Bullet Looks 2.5 is getting quite the update for the new Red Giant Universe.
Here is what was in the newsletter:
“Completely rebuilt. GPU-accelerated. New color correction tools. Free update.
March 31, 2014 — Today, Red Giant announced Magic Bullet Looks 2.5, an upcoming free update for current users of Looks and the Red Giant Color Suite. The free update includes new color correction tools, better previewing of presets, and a major bump in speed.
“It might look mostly the same at first glance,” said Nate Sparks, Red Giant Color Suite product manager, “but what’s under the hood is brand-spanking entirely new. Magic Bullet Looks has been around for a long time, and we know how much users depend on it every day in their work. But we reached a point in development where the older technology it was built on was holding us back.”
Rather than continuing to build Looks on old code, the developers chose to spend the last year rebuilding it entirely from scratch – preserving the hugely popular Magic Bullet Looks experience while giving it new life and a bright future.
“A few weeks ago, we announced an entirely new development platform and effects library called Universe,” said Red Giant co-founder Andrew Little. “That technology allows us to quickly create new effects and update existing ones quickly. Magic Bullet Looks has been rebuilt on the same flexible, GPU-enhanced technology, and it opens the door for us to do a lot more with Looks and other existing products in the future.“
In the meantime, you don’t have to wait to get new features out of Magic Bullet Looks. The free update includes the following enhancements:
- Speed increases of up to 95% on Windows® and more than 25% on Mac®.
- Improved Looks Previewing: allows users to hover over Looks to preview the results.
- Strength Slider: control the overall strength of your entire Look with an easy-to-use, key-framable slider.
- LUT Tool: allows users to import .cube LUTs as well as 12 new LUT presets.
- S-Curve Tool: makes it easy to add contrast without losing detail.
- Better Custom Looks Management: makes it easier to share your Looks with other editors.
“These updates are just the beginning,” said Sparks. “We’ve wanted to do much more with Magic Bullet Looks. And now, with Looks rebuilt, you can expect to see big things in the future.”